Saturday, November 19, 2011

Thanksgiving Decorating On The Cheap!

I don't know about you,
but I need the holidays to be easy on the pocketbook this year.

Between early retirement and endless medical bills,
I need to decorate on the cheap for Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks for all the things we have
and not to concentrate on the things we don't have.

I am thankful for family...
and health...
and a lovely home...
and food to put on the table.

I am thankful to wake up each morning...
and be greeted by a loving husband...
and new opportunities...
and hope.

So how to decorate without spending money?

I searched the endless photos on Pinterest
for good, economical ideas
using items most of us already have.

How about some fresh fruit and cloves
to spell out your holiday wishes?



Feed deer or squirrels at your house?
Then you probably already have deer corn.
Add some dried corn to a candle holder...


or how about using popcorn?



Have access to twigs and leaves...


or nuts from the trees in your yard?



How about some pretty leaves attached
to a simple votive candle holder...


or turning wine glasses upside down
to create a festive candle display?




Gather pine cones and leaves from your yard
and make a cake stand into a great centerpiece...


or find pretty leaves to serve as name cards.




How about some shafts of wheat or dried foliage or branches
displayed in some painted bottles?
The bottles certainly wouldn't have to match!




My personal favorite decoration used family photos.
Simple...elegant...perfect.



While you look around your house for items
to use to make your home festive,
listen to this beautiful piano solo, 
"Thanksgiving" by George Winston
and be thankful for what you have!

2 comments:

Sue said...

I love Thanksgiving because it IS a reminder to stay hopeful and thankful for what we have. I also love the word "HOPE", because these day "hope" is something that we all need to hang on to! And the candles? I'm a candle freak, I always have them burning!

Take care, Sue

trash talk said...

Aw Mal...the nuts around the Casita de Trash aren't in the yard...they're sitting in the front room watching TV.
I figure the food is enough decorating and once it's gone, I don't have to pack anything up.
Deb