Saturday, July 24, 2010

Warning Signs...

"But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks?
It is the east, and Juliet is the sun."

No, no, it isn't!
Look again, Romeo...
it is Jenny Matlock!

"It is my lady, O, it is my love!
O, that she knew she were!"

Well, tell her, Romeo...
tell her!

"She speaks yet she says nothing; what of that?"

She is probably dumbstruck...
poor woman!

"See, how she leans her cheek upon her hand!
O, that I were a glove upon that hand,
That I might touch that cheek! "

Keep your hands off of Jenny's cheeks!
I am telling you that her husband and
grandkids would not like that!
No touching!

"When he bestrides the lazy puffing clouds
And sails upon the bosom of the air."

No way, buddy!
Don't even start thinking
about Jenny's bosom!
That is way off limits!

"Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?"

Romeo, Saturday Centus is not about
listening or speaking...
it is about writing!
You need to write!

"I take thee at thy word."

Well, I hope you do, Buster!
Now write!

"I do not know not how to tell thee who I am"

We really don't need to know
who you are!
You can even use a fake name here!
Oh, I've got a good one for you!
How about Tybalt?
What? You don't like that name?
Whatever.

"Had I it written, I would tear the word."

Well, after I read it, I might tear it too!
No, I was just kidding...
we don't judge here.
Jenny is very gentle!

"O, wilt thou leave me so unsatisfied?"

Read my lips...
Jenny is taken!
However, you can get satisfied
by reading all this wonderful stories!

"Hence will I to my ghostly sire's close cell,
His help to crave, and my dear hap to tell."

Thank goodness!
Now please join me
at Jenny Matlock's
Saturday Centus!

It is a themed writing meme.
Each Saturday, Ms. Matlock will give
a writing prompt.
Your assignment...
if you choose to accept it...
is to write a 100 word story.
Yes, 100 words or less...
not including the "prompt words".
Oh, and the prompt words can
be used anywhere in your story!

Sounds like fun, doesn't it?
The writing prompt is good for the entire week,
so you can join in at any time!

THIS WEEK'S PROMPT:

Driving six hours is a long time on the road. Six hours spent singing car-aoke and taking in the picturesque scenery, but mostly reminiscing about the good times. But those days were long gone and my mind was in a different place now. Or was it? My pulse quickened as I passed the road sign which read "Medford 27 miles."


So here is my contribution

_________________________________________________________

Driving six hours is a long time on the road.
Six hours spent
singing car-aoke and
taking
in the picturesque scenery, but
mostly reminiscing
about the good times.
But those days were
long gone and my mind was in a different place now.
Or was it?
My pulse quickened as I passed the road
sign which read
"Medford 27 miles."

Medford was the center of my universe.

We lived, loved and planted roots there. Our
towheaded children ran
barefoot through
dirt roads
while bravely riding the skirt tails of dust devils
which whirled through the
open arms of
Medford's grasp.

We had been together since the beginning. I couldn't
remember life without
him.
We began as two and
ended
up as a big, loving family.

Then she came along and changed everything.

I had dreamed of this moment for three long years.
I patted the gun nestled
in my lap.

I glanced up.

The road sign read "Hell 2 miles."

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please excuse the unusual format of my story today.
Seems Blogger is playing cruel tricks on me today!

18 comments:

jeff campbell said...

Revenge and murder...twisted...great writing and nice take on the prompt...Peace

Bookie said...

Orginial angle to this prompt! Certainly took the light singing to a darker side...interesting take!

Viki said...

Uh oh, I think there's going to be trouble. Go get him/her/them? LOL
Great way to deal with the prompt. Good job.

Unknown said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this and the introduction as well. You are very clever and I am humbled by your little essay. (I spent the day being whiny and irritable at the horrifically wordy prompt!)

Terra said...

oh you clever clever gal...you treated us to quite a little ditty including out dear ms jenny that kept me smiling then you hit us with murder...clever gal.

cj said...

Your introduction is going to make Tom REAL jealous! And your post, well, it was just all that. Your imagination continues to amaze me. And, oh,the prospect of first degree murder was just so sweet, of the revenge variety, of course.

Vicki/Jake said...

BANG!

Haha, good little twist :)

Kim Lehnhoff said...

What wronged woman hasn't plotted this same revenge in her head?

Thankfully, most of us don't move beyond the imaginary murder!

jfb57 said...

Great, great great! I thought it was going to be all pink & fluffy at the end but NO! Really enjoyed this!

Tgoette said...

I am in awe of your writing this week, Malisa! Your story was awesome and so unexpected! A brilliant use of the prompt! As for your introduction, it was hilarious! I love Shakespeare but never thought to use it like you did. It was a veritable tour de farce!

Jealous? Hell yes I am!

Kat said...

Your introduction just cracked me up. "No touching, Mr. Jenny and the grandkids wouldn't like that" - I'm rolling on the sofa :) I loved your use of the prompt. I try not to read any of the posts until mine is finished, so I won't be unduly influenced (or in some cases, totally intimidated!) But it seems you and I both went a bit dark with what I think was supposed to be a lighthearted prompt. Hmmm. Kat

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

This could be my favorite of all this week! LOVED IT!

Tina said...

Your introduction CRACKED me up! And I loved your take on the prompt. Nice writing! And thanks for stopping by at Life is Good.

Sue said...

I LOVE when you take the time to really "write". Your words just magically flow together and tell the story so well. Thanks for taking the time to just "write"! I enjoyed it.

Take care, Sue

Cheryl said...

I love how you twisted this into a knot at the end.

Life@Cee said...

What clever use of Romeo and Juliet, and I loved the revenge angle in your story.
Cee

~Lissa said...

"Hell 2 miles" Love it! You have really great imagery in this!

PS. Your intro is amazing!

~Lissa

Jenny said...

Darn, girl, you totally have me pegged: She speaks yet she says nothing (Have you been talking to my Mother?!?)

And not just to keep re-quoting you but: We lived, loved and planted roots there. Our towheaded children ran barefoot through dirt roads while bravely riding the skirt tails of dust devils which whirled through the open arms of Medford's grasp.

Amazing.

Absolutely beautifully written. I was there. I felt the emotion. Just incredible.

Thank you for linking.

And I hope, I really hope, that I said just a small part of how impressed I was by this short story.

Wow.