Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Swing In The Tree Of Life...

I would like to dedicate my contribution to
Saturday Census this week to the memory of

Lisa fought a hard battle with a very
aggressive ovarian cancer which took
her life in less than three weeks.
Lisa was 40.

I discovered Lisa's blog shortly after
the Gulf oil spill.
I followed the events in the Gulf
through the words of Lisa and
her husband, the Captain.

From their words,I learned the truth
about what was happening in the Gulf.
I learned truths about life and love too.

Please stop by Bumpkin On A Swing
to leave your words of kindness
for her Captain, family and friends.
____________________________________________

For those of you who are joining us
for the first time, you may be wondering

It is a themed writing meme.
Each Saturday, Ms. Matlock will give
a writing prompt.
Your assignment...
if you choose to accept it...
is to write a 100 word story.
Yes, 100 words or less...
not including the "prompt words".
Oh, and the prompt words can
be used anywhere in your story!

Sounds like fun, doesn't it?
The writing prompt is good for the entire week,
so you can join in at any time!

THIS WEEK'S PROMPT:

I listened to them from my perch on the top step
and didn’t know whether to laugh or cry...

So here is my contribution

_________________________________________________________


The old, wooden swing hung amongst the Spanish moss in the branches of the tree which was rooted in the rich Mississippi soil.

She lived her life in that swing. Her future with her love, her Captain, never seemed brighter than when she viewed it in midair.

The swing and she survived winds, water, hurricanes and the disastrous oil spill. That swing became the symbol of their survival.

Three weeks ago, she discovered that cancer had invaded her body. Now only the swing survives.

We buried her yesterday . I sat on the porch and watched children scramble for her swing. I listened to them from my perch on the top step and didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

16 comments:

Kat said...

What a lovely tribute. This was so touching, the laughter and voices of children do remind us that life goes on. And can go on with joy, even when tinged with sadness. This was a beautiful take on the prompt.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

This is a very special tribute to Bumpkin, and such a sweet way to work in the prompt.
Thank you.
Blessings,
xoRobyn

noexcuses said...

This was an amazing tribute to a wonderful person. I'm glad you had the time to get to know her, and I'm sure she knows about this touching tribute.

I liked how you ended it with the children playing on the swing. She also would have been happy that they wanted to play.

I will be more than happy to visit her blog and leave some words of encouragement to the family.

God Bless you.

peggy gatto said...

so special.

RockiBottom said...

Beautiful! A lovely tribute.

Bookie said...

I did not know your friend...but this is an incredibly well done piece.

Viki said...

Beautiful, heartfelt remarks for Bumpkin. God Bless her.

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Such beautiful words for your dear, sweet friend. It's so sad that her life was cut short due to an awful illness. I hope that her Captain finds peace through the caring and support of others.

hugs
Sissie

Jenners said...

Such a heartbreaking story but a very lovely tribute.

Kim Lehnhoff said...

Children seem to be able to live in the moment, even in the midst of tragedy...sure wish I still had that ability a couple of times myself.

Cheryl said...

This was beautiful Malisa. My sympathies to you.

Sue said...

I missed this post somehow, sorry. Just saw it this morning, and you have to know it really touched me. I love when you write from your heart, my favorite words of yours!

Take care, Sue

Tgoette said...

What a touching and heartwarming tribute, Malisa. This was just a beautifully well written piece. So very sorry about Bumpkin, but I'm sure she is looking down with pride at what you've done. Excellent!

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

Beautiful, Malisa. Cancer's a terrible thing, and it takes too many people too early. I hope I live long enough to see science find a cure for it.

Anonymous said...

[color=#ff6fcf]Great post! thank you for sharing this information. moonlighthollow.blogspot.com really got under my
[/color] [url=http://nuscin-online.info]skin,[/url] [color=#ff6fcf]bookmarked... Keep up the great site...[/color]

Jenny said...

Malisa. Oh no. This is horrible news! I haven't been to her blog for some time. I am so saddened by this.

I will definitely go and visit and send my sympathies.

Thank you for this lovely tribute.

It was very touching.

And hugs to you on your loss.